Please know the disasters were not me or mine, but I watched them roll through the aisles at work felling people like bowling pins lined up to be knocked thunderously down.
- Start with an impossibly short deadline.
- Add three people who have a tough time working together for personality reasons
- A proprietary software package that may have been cutting edge and state of the art 5 year ago, BUT….. and hates having more than one user working ( yesterday we had three and ALL day…)
- Add in a clumsy and inelegant process
- A request to have someone covered by the business public liability who is not an employee, and is not paid as a contractor. LEGALLY IMPOSSIBLE. I asked if they had their OWN – the answer was YES BUT they needed it now for approval as this is needed almost immediately. mmmmmm.
- The three computers these three employees were working at suddenly stopped working. ONLY these three in the office. Easily solved as one of the three dislodged the connector to the power circuit.
- Then the server that hosts the database crashed, the corruption living in said inelegant database.
- Kicked the server and restarted everything but the source of the corruption was guess which – yep said inelegant software.
- I am still waiting this morning for the restore to see how much work was lost ( I am betting most of yesterday!!)
I did what I could to facilitate and assist.
Please note I have been talking to them about web based options that are easier and less cumbersome and they have not done anything.
Breaking news – everywhere the streets, the TV stations, the newspapers are full of the Obama Inauguration as well as Teddy Kennedy’s collapse. A 4 year old drowned yesterday evening at a beach south of Melbourne. Riotinto Alcan are cutting 1100 jobs. BHP shuts Raventhorpe Nickel Mine ( another 1800 jobs.) The Federal government are considering a credit “rescue package” for the banks.