“God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks to us in our conscience, but shouts in our pains: It is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world” ~ CS Lewis
1. The smell of coffee brewing just as I rise to consciousness after sleep. The way the dark quality of it tickles mynose and begins desire. Knowing I have coffee that tastes as good as it smells. “A leaf fluttered in through the window this morning, as if supported by the rays of the sun, a bird settled on the fire escape, joy in the task of coffee, joy accompanied me as I walked.” ~Anais Nin
2. Waking naturally; not because the alarm tolls and I have to be somewhere, or get anyone else up, or a dog barks. “Quality sleep of sufficient duration has numerous health benefits and plays a criticsl role in immune function, metabolism, memory, judgement and other vital functions. “ ~ Chamberlain
3. Taking a nap right when I need one. “We can only sleep if we have a sleep deficit. hat means if you feel the need for a nap, it’s because you haven’t been getting enough quality sleep.” ~ Chamberlain. That means it is okay to take a nap at any time. Excellent. So I am not just getting old – as I feared, I am instead listening to my body and what it needs. Now that reframing/spin I can live with.
4. Receiving a text from someone just after they left me saying “I love you” for no reason. Just because you love me? Awwww. See. There is LOVE in my life. “Enjoy present pleasures in such a way as not to injure future ones.” ~ Seneca. Today, have you actually told someone that you love them – for no reason?
5. Sleeping in fresh clean sheets. Fresh , air dried 100% cotton sheets are a joy to behold, a delight to smell and an absolute pleasure to wriggle into and settle around you. “The cool kindliness of sheets, that soon smooth away trouble; and the rough male kiss of blankets.’ ~Rupert Brooke
6. When a store has a huge cozy winged chair and a stack of the latest magazines. You have a list all written and have been religiously stomping through the shopping centre like a homing beacons collecting all you need and items all on the list and you come across a comfy chair and a stack of magazines and seat yourself relax and enjoy. A slight detour but an indulgence that helps you and hurts no-one else. Not the sort of magazines you would buy either – the type to leaf through and gaze with glossy images of impossible beauty and shoes costing more than the household budget for 3 months.
7. Finding out someone has already done a dreaded chore. You have been asking for what seems like weeks in the hope of uncovering the bedroom floor, so you might venture in their to switch off a lamp or put away clothing after laundering without fear of tripping or twisting an ankle, and you open the door and find it pristine and well, a floor!! That is a pleasure and a win and a half. ( Of course this is pure fantasy – but one can hope…..)
8. Downing birthday cake!! Whether it is yours or someone elses’s, birthday cake always tastes better than other cake. ( Haven’t you noticed????) “A compromise is the art of dividing a cake in such a way that everyone believes he has the biggest piece. ” ~Ludwig Erhard
9. A cute guy, walking down the street does a 360 swivel and checks me out. Yes, me. He so did. There I am completely minding my business and Hello!!! I can’t be that bad, despite what I sometimes think!!
10. When you get to the counter with your sale item reduced 70% and you find it is a further 25% off. Thank you shopping god!!!
11. Being upgraded ona flight. Upgraded to business for no real reason. It is a lovely surprise and a boost.
12. When chocolate is JUST the right temperature for eating. This is a purely personal thing. For me even in winter I like chocolate hard – not soft. I have often told people I dislike chocolate because I dislike the seduction to over indulging and the calory guilt that follows. So for me, with chocolate, it is easier and better NOT to start.
13. A good hair day. Like cats they sneak up on you when you are not looking and when they happen and it all is JUST right, it is fantastic. The better you hair looks, the more alive you feel.