Heat licks and curls
Around the afternoon
Of water views.
Hints and hangs
Heating the skin
Inside my wrist.
Where are you –
1. Sheets that smell of sunshine and captured fresh air, newly laid on the
mattress just before bedtime – not a single wrinkle to be found – anywhere.
2. A book – so well written that even as eyelids droop you hesitate and
fight impending sleep just to read a few more words…..so real are the
3. Your foot, searching for me as sleep raises and lets me find some
consciousness – the comfort of that solitary seeking foot and the sheer
4. The surprising icy cut of the wind on a day achingly crisp blue and the
shock of the cold right through to the numbness of the fingers.
5. A voice that is so musically perfect that you stretch and turn and are
stunned even though the voice is one you know intimately.
6. The tiny tucked warmth of a young child curled as sleep moves close to
carry them under whispering thank you unexpectedly.